1959.12 不要随意吐痰

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
发表于 2022-7-20 01:47:59 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式

马上注册 与译者交流

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
Do Not Spit at Random
This street play, which has been performed many times on the street corners of Hangchow and Shanghai, was written by the Hangchow Stage Group in support of the patriotic health movement. It is typical of the purpose which informs almost all contemporary writing in Communist China, and it stresses in particular the vigilance of the Young Pioneers, children of nine to thirteen, prototypes of the Maoists to come.

By Fang Tzu
DECEMBER 1959 ISSUE

BY FANG TZU

(A young girl Pioneer with a megaphone comes out from a crowd in the street or from among the audience in a theater.)

YOUNG PIONEER. Dear uncles and aunts, please do not spit at random. Spitting at random on the ground is a most deplorable habit. It helps to spread germs and disease, and so may affect our health harmfully. Dear uncles and aunts, if you want to spit, please do so into a cuspidor. If there is no cuspidor at hand, then spit into a handkerchief.

Magazine Cover image
View This Story as a PDF
See this story as it appeared in the pages of The Atlantic magazine.

Open
PASSER-BY (walks across stage with a brief case, makes noise as if going to spit). Hmm . . . hawk . . . choo! (Spits phlegm on the ground.)

YOUNG PIONEER (seeing the passer-by spit, hurries away from the crowd to overtake the man, or leaps onto stage from below). Uncle, uncle, don’t spit on the ground. Please rub it away with a piece of paper.

PASSER-BY. My young friend, with the cuspidor so far away, where do you think I should spit?

YOUNG PIONEER. You can go up to the cuspidor. It’s only a few steps away.

PASSER-BY. I’d have to go there and come back again. How do you think I am going to catch my bus?

YOUNG PIONEER. Uncle, don’t you know there are many germs in spittle? When it dries, the germs will be scattered everywhere, and, by breathing the air, people may be infected with such diseases as typhoid, diphtheria, tuberculosis —

PASSER-BY. I am not a tubercular. So there cannot be any germs in the phlegm I coughed out.

RECOMMENDED READING
Illustration of court cases piled up and a judge caught in the middle
The Cause of the Crime Wave Is Hiding in Plain Sight
ALEC MACGILLIS
An imagined masking light on a plane
Put Your Face in Airplane Mode
SAAHIL DESAI

SPONSOR CONTENT
How Humans Are Helping Forests Heal
MASTERCARD
YOUNG PIONEER. It is a social obligation to refrain from spitting at random. If everyone spits and insists that there can be no germs in what he has spat, how can we be patriotic and keep ourselves in good health?

ONE OF THE CROWD (speaks from the crowd or from the audience in a theater). Rub the spittle away quick!

(A large crowd gathers around the passer-by.)

PASSER-BY (irritated). Hmm. You want me to squat there and rub away the spittle? But I have no time for that. Besides, I am not used to doing that sort of thing. (Prepares to go.)

YOUNG PIONEER. Uncle, uncle, don’t go. I haven’t finished with you yet.

PASSER-BY. I have to go home now to my dinner and have no time to carry on a conversation with you.

ONE OF THE CROWD. Hey, you come back here! There can’t be a more unreasonable man than you.

PASSER-BY. How SO?

YOUNG PIONEER (offering a piece of paper). Uncle, please rub it away with this piece of paper.

Magazine Cover image
Explore the December 1959 Issue
Check out more from this issue and find your next story to read.

View More
PASSER-BY. I won’t do it!

YOUNG PIONEER. HOW can you refuse to carry out a social obligation?

PASSER-BY. Are you lecturing me?

(Here a number of actors come out of the crowd to speak, or speak from among the audience, or some may go up on the stage.)

CROWD. What? You are trying to assume airs? Don’t argue with him. Call the police. Police! Comrade police!

PASSER-BY. I won’t rub it. I promise not to spit again.

CROWD. Comrade, what is your unit?

PASSER-BY. That’s none of your business.

CROWD. Why isn’t it my business? When you refuse to carry out a public obligation, everyone is entitled to criticize you.

PEOPLE’S POLICE (enters). What’s happened here?

(At this moment the crowd becomes larger.)

CROWD. He spat at random and refuses to accept criticism. He would not listen to the advice of a child. And he’s such a big man. He is no better than this child. And he is a Party member too! Probably a backward one.

PEOPLE’S POLICE. All right, it’s clear to me now. (Addressing the crowd.) Comrades! What do you think we should do with such a man?

CROWD. He should be criticized and fined. He should be made the subject of a wall newspaper. A cartoon should be drawn of him for all to see. He should be taken to the police station.

PEOPLE’S POLICE. Oh, well, if you will not rub it away, I’ll do it for you. But, first of all, may I know what unit you belong to?

PASSER-BY. As for that —

(The voice of a middle-aged woman is heard off stage calling someone.)

MOTHER. Hsiao-ying, Hsiao-ying.

YOUNG PIONEER. Oh, Mama!

MOTHER. There you are. We’ve been waiting for you a long time. The meal is cold. Won’t you hurry home to your meal?

YOUNG PIONEER. I haven’t finished my work yet.

MOTHER. Work? What sort of work?

YOUNG PIONEER. Someone has spat on the ground and refuses to accept criticism. Unless he cleans it off, I am not going to let him go.

MOTHER (recognizes the passer-by). Oh, is that you, Comrade Ch’en?

PASSER-BY. Er — yes, it’s me, Teacher Wang.

MOTHER. Hsiao-ying, who is it that refuses to accept criticism?

YOUNG PIONEER. Mama, there he is.

PEOPLE’S POLICE (addressing mother). Comrade, do you know which unit this comrade belongs to?

MOTHER. He is the accountant of the cotton mill. He is Comrade Ch’en Jung-fa.

PEOPLE’S POLICE. Good, thank you. (Addressing the passer-by.) I think there’s only one way now. (Draws a circle round the spittle on the ground with a piece of chalk and is about to write down the name of the passer-by and the unit to which he belongs.)

PASSER-BY (frightened). Comrade, don’t! Don’t write down the name of my unit! (Addressing the crowd.) Comrades and my young friend, please pardon me this once. You may write my name there, but please do not write the name of our mill too. Our mill has already signed a patriotic health pact.

PEOPLE’S POLICE. Yet you break the pact?

PASSER-BY. All right, I’ll clean it, I’ll clean it. I promise not to do the same thing again.

YOUNG PIONEER. Here, take this piece of paper. (The passer-by squats down to rub the ground. Crowd, satisfied, disperses.)

PEOPLE’S POLICE (to mother). Comrade, your child is really a good Young Pioneer, a young heroine for the elimination of the seven pests [mosquitoes, flies, rats, sparrows, and so forth] and for public health. If everyone eliminates the seven pests in earnest and maintains public hygiene as she does, our cities and the countryside will be rid of the seven pests sooner, disease will largely be wiped out, people will be healthier than ever, and the nation will be more prosperous and stronger.

MOTHER. Hsiao-ying, hurry home to your meal. It’s already cold.

YOUNG PIONEER. Mama, my group leader isn’t here yet. I’ll go home when he comes to relieve me.

MOTHER. Oh, well, I’ll have to warm the meal again anyway.

YOUNG PIONEER (speaking through megaphone and coming toward crowd in the street or toward audience in theater). Dear uncles and aunts, please do not spit at random. Spitting at random is a most deplorable habit. . . .

We wish to qive special thanks to Peggy Durdin of Hong Kong for her invaluable aid in gathering the material for this issue and for her translation and editing of some of the pieces. -THE EDITOR

不要随意吐痰
这部在杭州市和上海的街头巷尾多次上演的街头剧,是由杭州市舞台剧团为支持爱国卫生运动而创作的。它具有典型的目的性,几乎影响了共产党中国当代的所有写作,它特别强调了少先队员的警惕性,他们是9至13岁的儿童,是未来的毛泽东主义者的原型。

作者:方子
1959年12月号
分享

作者:方子

(一个拿着扩音器的少女先锋从街上的人群中或从剧院的观众中走出来)。

年轻的先驱者。亲爱的叔叔阿姨们,请不要随意吐痰。在地上随意吐痰是一种最令人痛心的习惯。它有助于传播病菌和疾病,因此可能会对我们的健康造成危害。亲爱的叔叔阿姨们,如果你们想吐痰,请吐到牙床上。如果手边没有硬纸巾,那就往手帕里吐吧。

杂志封面图片
以PDF格式查看本故事
请看这个故事出现在《大西洋》杂志的页面上。

打开
过客(带着一个公文包走过舞台,发出声音,好像要吐痰)。嗯......老鹰......啾!(把痰吐在地上)。

年轻人(看到路人吐痰,急忙离开人群去追赶那个人,或者从下面跳上舞台)。叔叔,叔叔,不要往地上吐痰。请用一张纸把它擦掉。

路过的人。我的年轻朋友,在这么远的地方,你认为我应该在哪里吐痰?

年轻的先锋。你可以上楼去看一看。它只有几步之遥。

过路人: 我必须去那里,然后再回来。你认为我怎么能赶上我的公车?

年轻的先锋。叔叔,你不知道唾液里有很多细菌吗?当它干了以后,病菌就会散布到各处,人们通过呼吸空气,可能会感染伤寒、白喉、肺结核等疾病。

过路人。我不是肺结核患者。所以我咳出的痰里不可能有任何病菌。

推荐阅读
插图:法院案件堆积如山,法官被夹在中间
犯罪浪潮的原因隐藏在众目睽睽之下
艾力克-麦吉利斯
想象中的飞机上的遮蔽灯
让你的脸进入飞机模式
萨伊尔-德赛

赞助内容
人类如何帮助森林愈合
硕士卡
年轻的先驱者。不随意吐痰是一项社会义务。如果每个人都吐痰,并坚持认为他所吐的东西里不可能有细菌,那么我们怎么能做到既爱国又保持健康?

群众中的一个人(从人群中或剧院的观众中发言)。快把唾沫擦掉!"。

(一大群人聚集在路人周围)。

路人(被激怒了)。嗯。你想让我蹲在那里擦去唾沫?但我没有时间做这个。此外,我不习惯做这种事。(准备离开。)

年轻的先锋。叔叔,叔叔,别走。我还没跟你说完呢。

过路人: 我现在要回家吃饭,没有时间和你谈话。

人群中的一个。嘿,你给我回来! 没有比你更无理的人了。

过路的人。怎么说?

年轻人(提供一张纸): 叔叔,请用这张纸把它擦掉。

杂志封面图片
探索1959年12月号
查看本期的更多内容,并找到你要读的下一个故事。

查看更多
路过的人。我不干!

年轻的先驱者。你怎么能拒绝履行一项社会义务?

过路人。你在对我说教吗?

(这里有一些演员从人群中走出来说话,或者从观众中说话,或者一些人可能上台。)

群众:什么?你想装腔作势吗?不要和他争论。打电话给警察。警察!警察同志!

路过的人: 我不会擦的。我保证不再吐痰了。

群众: 同志,你是什么单位的?

过路人: 这不关你的事。

群众: 为什么不关我的事?当你拒绝履行公共义务时,每个人都有权对你进行批评。

人民警察(进入)。这里发生了什么?

(此刻,人群变得更大。)

群众: 他随意吐口水,拒绝接受批评。他不会听从一个孩子的建议。而他是这样一个大人物。他并不比这个孩子好多少。而且他也是个党员! 可能是个落后的人。

人民警察。好了,现在我明白了。(向群众讲话。)同志们! 你们认为我们应该怎样对待这样一个人?

群众: 应该对他进行批评和罚款。应该让他成为墙报的主题。应该把他画成漫画让大家看。他应该被带到警察局去。

人民警察。哦,好吧,如果你不把它擦掉,我就帮你擦。但是,首先,我可以知道你属于哪个单位吗?

过路人: 至于说到------。

(台下传来一个中年妇女叫人的声音。)

母亲: 小英,小英。

年轻人: 哦,妈妈!

妈妈。你来了。我们等了你很久了。饭菜都凉了。你不赶快回家吃饭吗?

年轻的先锋。我还没有完成我的工作呢。

母亲: 工作?什么样的工作?

年轻的先驱者。有人在地上吐口水,拒绝接受批评。除非他把它擦干净,否则我不会让他走。

母亲(认出了这个路人)。哦,是你吗,陈同志?

过路人。是的,是我,王老师。

母亲。小英,是谁拒绝接受批评的?

年轻的先锋。妈妈,他来了。

人民警察(对母亲说)。同志,你知道这个同志是哪个单位的吗?

母亲。他是棉纺厂的会计。他是陈正发同志。

人民警察。好,谢谢你。(对路人说。)我想现在只有一条路了。(用粉笔在地上的唾沫星子上画了一个圈,准备写下路人的名字和他所属的单位。)

过路人(惊恐地)。同志,不要!不要 不要写下我单位的名字! (同志们和我的年轻朋友,请原谅我这一次。你们可以把我的名字写在那里,但请不要把我们工厂的名字也写上去。我们厂已经签订了爱国卫生公约。

人民警察。但是你却破坏了这个协议?

过路人: 好吧,我会清理的,我会清理的。我保证不再做同样的事了。

年轻的先锋。来,拿着这张纸。(路人蹲下身来擦地。人群满意地散去。)

人民警察(对母亲)。同志,你的孩子真是个好少先队员,是消灭七害[蚊子、苍蝇、老鼠、麻雀等]和公共卫生的女英雄。如果每个人都像她那样认真消灭七害,保持公共卫生,我们的城市和农村将更快地消灭七害,疾病将基本被消灭,人们将比以前更健康,国家将更加繁荣富强。

母亲。小英,赶快回家吃饭吧。天气已经很冷了。

小英 妈妈,我的组长还没来呢。等他来了,我就回家了。

妈妈。哦,好吧,反正我还得把饭菜热一下。

年轻的先锋(通过扩音器说话,向街上的人群或剧院里的观众走去)。亲爱的叔叔阿姨们,请不要随意吐痰。随意吐痰是一种最令人痛心的习惯。. . .

我们要特别感谢香港的Peggy Durdin,她为本期杂志收集材料提供了宝贵的帮助,并翻译和编辑了一些作品。-编者
分享到:  QQ好友和群QQ好友和群 QQ空间QQ空间 腾讯微博腾讯微博 腾讯朋友腾讯朋友
收藏收藏 分享分享 分享淘帖 顶 踩
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

QQ|小黑屋|手机版|网站地图|关于我们|ECO中文网 ( 京ICP备06039041号  

GMT+8, 2024-5-4 13:35 , Processed in 0.115024 second(s), 19 queries .