发表于 2022-6-20 23:41:45 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

马上注册 与译者交流

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
On Anti-Zionism And Anti-Semitism
By The Daily Dish
OCTOBER 30, 2010
Isaacson-einstein-wide
Since we've been talking about the subject, this fascinating piece by Walter Isaacson on Einstein's conversion to Zionism may be of interest. Of course, Zionism was a subject of debate among Jews and Gentiles for a very long time, and when Einstein visited America, he encountered some resistance to his increasingly passionate belief in a Jewish state:

The resistance to Einstein’s mission came not only from the Brandeis camp of cautious and restrained American Zionists, but also from successful New York Reform Jews of German heritage, many of whom were opposed to Zionism. When Einstein invited 50 or so of New York’s most prominent Jews to a private meeting in his hotel, many of them declined. Paul Warburg, who had served as his agent soliciting lecture fees, wrote:

"My presence would be of no use; on the contrary, I fear that, if at all, its effect would be rather to cool things down. As I already told you on another occasion, I personally have the greatest doubts relating to the Zionist plans and anticipate their consequences with genuine consternation."

Other rejections came from Arthur Hays Sulzberger of The New York Times; the politically connected financier Bernard Baruch; the lawyer Irving Lehman; the first Jewish Cabinet secretary, Oscar Straus; the philanthropist Daniel Guggenheim; and the former Congressman Jefferson Levy.

One note on my series of posts on the Israel-Palestine debate. I'm not squelching debate right now, just postponing it. I'm trying to make a longer argument than can appear in a single post, and after I've made my entire case, open the series up for real discussion. It's an experiment.

2006-2011 archives for The Daily Dish, featuring Andrew Sullivan

关于反犹太复国主义和反犹太主义
作者:The Daily Dish
2010年10月30日
分享
艾萨克森-爱因斯坦-广
既然我们一直在谈论这个话题,沃尔特-艾萨克森关于爱因斯坦皈依犹太复国主义的这篇精彩文章可能会引起我们的兴趣。当然,犹太复国主义在犹太人和外邦人之间争论了很长时间,当爱因斯坦访问美国时,他遇到了一些阻力,他对犹太国家的信念越来越热情。

对爱因斯坦访问的抵制不仅来自谨慎和克制的美国犹太复国主义者的布兰代斯阵营,而且还来自成功的德裔纽约改革派犹太人,他们中的许多人反对犹太复国主义。当爱因斯坦邀请50名左右的纽约最杰出的犹太人在他的酒店举行私人会议时,他们中的许多人拒绝了。曾担任他的代理人的保罗-沃伯格(Paul Warburg)写道:"我的存在没有任何用处。

"我的出现没有任何用处;相反,我担心,如果有的话,其效果反而会使事情冷却下来。正如我在另一个场合告诉你的那样,我个人对犹太复国主义计划抱有极大的怀疑,并对其后果感到真正的惊愕。"

其他拒绝的人有:《纽约时报》的阿瑟-海斯-苏兹伯格;有政治关系的金融家伯纳德-巴鲁克;律师欧文-雷曼;第一位犹太裔内阁秘书奥斯卡-斯特劳斯;慈善家丹尼尔-古根海姆;以及前国会议员杰斐逊-利维。

关于我关于以色列-巴勒斯坦辩论的系列文章,有一点需要注意。我现在不是在压制辩论,只是在推迟辩论。我正试图提出一个比单篇文章所能出现的更长的论点,在我提出我的全部论点之后,将这个系列开放给真正的讨论。这是个实验。

2006-2011年《每日一菜》的档案,由安德鲁-沙利文主讲
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

QQ|小黑屋|手机版|网站地图|关于我们|ECO中文网 ( 京ICP备06039041号  

GMT+8, 2024-4-16 21:25 , Processed in 3.130837 second(s), 20 queries .